Tasting- Santa Julia Viognier




Name:  Santa Julia
Variety: 100% Viognier
Region: Mendoza
Country: Argentina
Year: 2019
Price: $11

Winery review: 

"Creamy peach and vanilla aromas are perfectly attractive, as is the palate. There's plenty of peach, mango and citrus pith flavors to make it worthy, and the finish is long and citrusy. Surprisingly good given the paltry price and Argentina's dearth of success with Viognier."- Michael Schachner, 2010

Wine Folly: pg 78-80- Full Bodied White Wine - Viognier-  " Viognier ranges in taste from lighter flavors of tangerine, mango and honeysuckle to creamier aromas of vanilla with spices of nutmeg and clove. Depending on the producer and how it’s made, it will range in intensity from light and spritzy with a touch of bitterness to bold and creamy. If you like Chardonnay you’ll like the weight of Viognier and notice it’s often a little softer on acidity, a bit lighter and also more perfumed."



My review: This was the first wine I tried from South America- Argentina to be exact, and it was definitely heavier and more fuller bodied than all the chardonnay I've been drinking lately. The flavors in it were delicious- with hints of peach, oak burnt vanilla, and honeysuckle- it was just a little too dry for me. However, I liked the less acidic texture to it- it's much more refreshing than the butter chardonnay I had earlier this week. Overall, I liked it, and it is named after me ;)

I tried this on my own with no food.

Comments